Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Opportunities and Challenges Abound

So for the last few years, I have been starting, investing, running small businesses in Africa. I have been involved in manufacturing, agribusiness, Information technology, trading, mining, real estate, entertainment, transportation, microfinance, tourism, horticulture and personal care. In addition, I have evaluated numerous other opportunities including fish farming, air and road transport, construction, biofuels among others. My parents also raised us to be very thoughtful as human beings. So I have also been involved in philanthropy and sit on the boards or advisory boards of non profit organizations that seek to improve the lives of others.

A lot of friends both in Kenya and abroad have asked about starting businesses in Africa.

In this blog, I hope to share my experiences, thoughts and suggestions on opportunities on the continent. I believe that we have extremely smart and driven people in Africa. That one of the many ways of improving the continent is through entrepreneurship. And that a combination of local market knowledge and best practices from other economies would go a long way in growing successful enterprises.

I welcome questions, suggestions and challenges to my theories and look forward to intelligent conversations that will encourage more of us to build businesses in Africa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi.i admire and encourage progressiveness and commend you for starting such a blog especially after the tragedy in kenya, i think we need to focus not only on reconciliation but also reconstruction rebuilding etc and what better way than to share ideas through such forums so you will have a reader in me.i also want to invest a lot in kenya but i've always been sceptical and a bit clueless.

Anonymous said...

This is really fantastic. Some of us have lived abroad for so long and when it comes to investing in Kenya, we either have to rely on a relative who have no clue or some stranger who might only be interested in your money and nothing else.

For a long time, there has been no way to get objective business opportunity information such as your blog proposes to provide.

I've read the first few posts and I've found them to be very informative.